[ti:Teenager Who Vaped Received Double Lung Transplant] [by:www.ljhzhm.tw] [00:00.00]更多聽力請訪問51VOA.COM [00:00.04]Health officials in the United States reported last week on what they believe could be a medical first. [00:08.76]Officials said doctors performed what could be the first double lung transplant [00:15.03]on a person whose lungs were severely damaged from vaping. [00:20.84]The operation reportedly saved the life of a teenager from the state of Michigan. [00:28.68]The young man was admitted in early September to a Detroit-area hospital [00:34.20]with what appeared to be pneumonia, a common lung infection. [00:40.64]The teen was later sent to Children's Hospital of Michigan in Detroit. [00:47.40]On October 3, he was transported to Henry Ford Hospital, [00:52.35]where the transplant was performed 12 days later. [00:57.52]Hassan Nemeh is surgical director of thoracic organ transplant at Henry Ford Hospital. [01:05.44]He told The Associated Press that the damage done to the teenager's lungs from vaping could not be undone. [01:14.96]He warned parents to think about that and to tell their children to do so as well. [01:22.20]Health officials did not release the patient's name. [01:26.06]But they did say he is expected to recover. [01:31.44]They also did not say what product the teenager vaped or how long he vaped. [01:38.92]The hospital released a statement written by the teen's family. [01:44.11]It said, "We asked Henry Ford doctors to share that the horrific life-threatening effects of vaping are very real! [01:53.84]Our family could never have imagined being at the center [01:58.32]of the largest adolescent public health crisis to face our country in decades." [02:05.80]More than 2,000 Americans who vape have gotten sick since March. [02:11.92]Many of them are teenagers and young adults. [02:16.56]At least 40 people have died. [02:21.56]Recently, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention [02:26.91]reported a discovery into what might be causing people who vape to become sick. [02:34.32]They identified the chemical compound vitamin E acetate as a "very strong culprit." [02:42.44]Researchers found the chemical compound in fluid taken from the lungs of 29 patients. [02:50.68]In other studies, Vitamin E acetate was found in liquid [02:55.72]from electronic cigarettes and other vaping devices. [03:01.24]Many who got sick said they had vaped liquids that contain THC, [03:07.48]the part of marijuana that creates what is known as a "high." [03:13.88]Many of those patients said they received the liquids from friends or bought them unlawfully. [03:22.44]E-cigarettes and other vaping devices heat a liquid into a gas or vapor. [03:29.72]Most products contain nicotine, but THC vaping has been growing more common. [03:38.12]Dr. Lisa Allenspach is a lung specialist and medical director of Henry Ford's Lung Transplant Program. [03:47.64]She told The AP, "Vaping-related injuries are all too common these days. [03:54.38]Our adolescents are faced with a crisis." [03:59.24]She added that vaping products should not be used in any way. [04:06.04]Dr. Nemeh said the 17-year-old patient's case does not open any new ethical considerations [04:12.99]about transplants for people who severely damage their own lungs by vaping. [04:19.80]He added, "We hope sharing this patient's story prevents anyone else [04:25.45]from experiencing a vaping injury that would require a transplant." [04:31.68]I'm Jonathan Evans. 更多聽力請訪問51VOA.COM 2019六合图库